This recipe is from AllRecipes and I use my Zojirushi Breadmaker...I love that thing. The recipe makes about 8 bagels. Last week I doubled it, and the bread maker handled it fine.
1 cup warm water
3 cups of bread flour
2 TBS white sugar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
3 TBS sugar
1 TSP cornmeal
1 egg white
Toppings if wish: shredded asiago cheese, poppy seeds, dried onion flakes, rock salt, cinnamon sugar...
1. I add the first 5 ingredients in the order listed. Set on Dough Cycle. When complete, place dough on a lightly floured surface. Shape into 8-10 balls, flatten them, and then poke hole in the middle. (Make it big, because dough will rise.)
2. Cover bagels with a clean dish towel, and let rise. Mine take about 30-60 minutes to get rise. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to boil. Dissolve 3 TBS of sugar in boiling water.
3. Sprinkle an ungreased cookie sheet with cornmeal. Heat oven to 375. Transfer bagels to boiling water. (My pot holds about 4 at a time.) Boil for 1 minute, turning halfway through. Remove bagels and place on dish towel to drain.
4. Arrange boiled bagels on baking sheet. Glaze top with egg white.
My kids love asiago cheese bagels, so I will grate some of that and sprinkle on top. They also love "everything" bagels: I mix up some poppy seeds, dried onion flakes, and a teeny bit of coarse salt. I will dip the top of the bagel in the egg white, and then dip it in the "everything mixture". We haven't tried cinnamon sugar yet, but I bet that would be good.
5. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes.
PS. There is a little Print Friendly button down below.